Friday, August 17, 2001

Hearing voices

What do I mean when I say "I am of two minds about that."? Perceiving that I have multiple viewpoints about a "single" issue really suggests to me that no "single" issue exists. Most experiences involve many layers of meaning and event. Perhaps listening to the many "voices" speaking about the experience in my head will give me the opportunity to increase my awareness of the those many layers. I find that the more I "know" about a issue or experience, the more appropriate my reaction to it.

On the other hand (or should I say, "another voice inside me says...") what does the author of the article below mean when he refers to a person's "true voice" as distinguished from all the other voices inside? He states "A few of my clients admitted they usually couldn't tell the true voice from the rest of the noise until after the fact. " Does this experience describe the existence of a "true" voice or does it suggest that once people discover how they "should" have acted, they perceive that they "knew it all along."? In a world with multitudinous layers of event and meaning, perceived by people with a myriad of experiences and desires creating meaning inside their heads, can we really designate a "true voice"?
Boston Globe Online / At Home / Your quiet inner voice has best advice

No comments: